Identifying Regions of the HIV-1 Particle as Drug Targets

We stared at computers for a long time and might’ve discovered something that’ll help science

This is a computational biology project I completed with my friend Edward Wang. We used a variety of free, publicly available tools and data to confirm three previously known drug binding sites and find two new sites. It’s pretty amazing what you can do with an Internet connection and a lot of free time!

We submitted our project to the Alameda County Science and Engineering Fair and won First Place in Biological Sciences. We also submitted it to the Google Science Fair, but unfortunately, didn’t win anything.

Project website →

Read our paper (PDF) →